1834 The original lighthouse was built. It was only 40 feet tall and visible for only 10 miles.
1856 The original lighthouse fell into the water.
1856 A temporary wooden tower was erected while a new lighthouse was being planned for construction.
1857-1858 The current lighthouse was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers under the direction of Lt. George G. Meade.
1859 Barnegat Lighthouse with its First-Order Fresnel lens was lit on January 1st with 200 spectators in attendance. The focal plane of the light is 172 feet above sea level, is visible for 19 miles at sea, and has a flash pattern of once every ten seconds.
1889 A new lighthouse keeper's house was constructed for the lighthouse keeper and two assistants and their families
1926 The land surrounding the lighthouse was transferred to the State of New Jersey and plans were made to extinguish the light.
1927 The Fresnel lens was removed from the lighthouse and the Barnegat Lightship was anchored 8 miles offshore to replace the lighthouse as an aid to navigation.
1941-1945 The lighthouse was used as a lookout tower for enemy ships during World War II.
1944 The lighthouse was taken out of service and decommissioned as a Coast Guard facility.
1946 The lighthouse was returned to the State of New Jersey.
1957 Barnegat Lighthouse was officially dedicated as a State Park and was formally opened to the public.
1988-91 The lighthouse was closed during construction of a new south jetty and renovations to the lighthouse.
1991-92 The lighthouse was reopened and a new walkway was added to the top of the jetty.
2004 A new Interpretive Center was opened on Labor Day weekend with four (4) volunteers.
2007 Friends of Barnegat Lighthouse State Park was chartered as a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization.
2008 A gala 150th celebration was held throughout the park.
2009 On January 1st the the lighthouse was relit with 8000 in attendance. The new modern lens retains the original flash pattern and is visible 19 miles at sea.